Saturday, August 8, 2009

Texture, Materials, Lighting

These are some examples of my texture and lighting skills. All lighting was done in Maya and the textures were worked in either the Maya textures or imported from Photoshop.

In this scene, I was given all of the modeled objects with a screen behind them. It was my job to create a mood with lighting, color, material, etc. and also manage to create something unique and beautiful. I decided to use the Pon and Zi comics as my starting point in the framed photo. I turned the backdrop-screen into a window with a night time plant-filled yard and a source of light outside. I used a bump and more Pon and Zi on the vase in a sort of Greek Pottery effect - I then continued the Greek theme on a carefully placed symbol around the candlestick holders and on the shiny table. I used Sub Surface Shading on the blue candle wax and simple but effective ramps and point lights for the flames. I also used a glow ramp on the incense stick and did the incense smoke in post (Photoshop).



This is a set of vases I did. I took a photo of three glass vases with three slightly different glass materials (the smallest is ceramic, the medium is a dark glass, and the large a clear glass). I modeled each and then worked the textures and lighting in Maya. The photo is bottom right, the wireframe is top, and the modeled image is bottom left.

This is my set of eyeballs. I modeled them with a transparency ramp shader, fixed the materials in Photoshop and then uploaded them.

No comments:

Post a Comment