Thursday, February 13, 2014

Daddy's Fabrications

How did I meet your mama you ask? Well, when I was a young man I liked to whittle and carve sculptures from wood. I had a little shop off the main road up in the Redwoods and would carve things like welcome signs with bears on them or wooden cutlery and jewelry boxes. It was good living, simple and easy. I was outdoors, I met tons of people with interesting stories that travelled through, and I didn’t have to worry about having a boss.

Meanwhile, your mother was living in a quaint little house. She kept to herself mostly, stayed inside. You would never think that someone who meets only travelers and a woman who doesn’t travel could ever possibly meet.

I was out in the back carving a big hunk of redwood. I sort of had the idea I was going to make another welcome sign since I only had a couple left, they’d been selling like hotcakes. I took a large chunk off the top and I saw the strangest thing inside this tree. It looked like a tiny rooster. I chipped a piece off from below the rooster and noticed it was a tiny weathervane. I continued to carve around it, wondering if I’d lost my mind. Was it possible I carved a tiny weathervane without realizing it? I fell into some abyss in my mind and just began carving away, something had come over me. I couldn’t stop. Suddenly there was a scalloped roof, tiny gutters, walls of a second story. I carved away windows with shutters and flower boxes, a patio, a rocking chair on the patio, tiny doorknobs, stairs, and finally the ground it sat upon. It was a perfect little dollhouse. I looked inside the windows I had only just carved. The whole house was already furnished with tiny wooden beds and tables and dressers. Tiny fabrics and pictures and teeny books that I know for a fact I hadn’t addressed. When I leaned over and opened the front door, there she was - A tiny little Tom-Thumb of a woman in a teal dress with long black hair and bright eyes. She was standing next to, if you’ll believe it, the same damn welcome sign I set out to carve in the first place. When I lifted her up away from her house she grew to a normal human size. That’s how we met. And that’s why I call your mama Dollface.

No comments:

Post a Comment